Monday, March 5, 2012

Theta Spotlight: Julie Case

A prominent Theta making a splash in the world! Julie Case, a Sophomore Public Relations and Advertising major, was recently named Women's Swimmer of the Year at the 2012 Pacific Collegiate Swim Conference Championships. Enjoy our Q&A with the amazing Julie Case! 
Q: How has swimming impacted your life?
A: I have always been competitive and I have been swimming competitively since middle school. I would say of anything swimming has helped me live not only a physically healthy, but mentally healthy life.

Q: At what age did you take an interest in swimming?
A: I started swimming when I was 4 years old. My family is an aquatic's family. My brother swam and plays water polo for Santa Clara University. My mom swam all throughout high school and college.

Q: Who are your role models?
A: I would have to say my role models would be my parents and my brother. My parents try to come to all of my meets and they are really the reason I do so well. I am from Connecticut so it is a big deal to me. My brother has showed me that if you work hard and truly love a sport, then there will only be positive things to come from all your hard work.

Q: How did it feel to be the first Chapman women's athlete to be named SCIAC Female Athlete of the Week?
A: It was a surreal feeling! I could not believe it. I won Swimmer of the Meet, Chapman Athlete of the Week, and then SCIAC within two days. So I am still pretty shocked but really honored to be the 2nd athlete from Chapman.

Q: Has being a part of Theta impacted your life?
A: Very positively. Some of my best friends are in Theta and all support me with swimming and water polo. It is almost like having a Plan B. I always know I can count on my sisters for helping me with anything at all!

By: Emily Hepp

No comments:

Post a Comment